LOCUS / CALOCUS Licensing
The LOCUS and CALOCUS assessment tools are licensed together and available as outlined below. Paper use and manual scoring of the LOCUS/CALOCUS assessments is no longer permissible.
LOCUS/CALOCUS Acceptable Use/Copyright Information:
The LOCUS service intensity assessment and planning instrument is owned and copyrighted by the American Association for Community Psychiatry (AACP).
The CALOCUS service intensity assessment and planning instrument is owned and copyrighted by the AACP and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP).
Acceptable Use for Service Intensity Assessment by Service Providers and Utilization Managers:
To maintain fidelity to the proper use of the tool, AACP and AACAP do not currently provide licensing options for accessing paper or pdf versions of the LOCUS or CALOCUS tool for clinical service intensity assessment, service planning or for utilization management. The only sanctioned method for accessing and scoring the LOCUS and CALOCUS tools for clinical service intensity assessment, service planning and/or utilization management for individuals and families in need of behavioral health services is through the electronic scoring algorithm that must be licensed to the end user organization by Deerfield Solutions, LLC. Electronic options include LOCUS online, LOCUS On-Prem, or via an Electronic Health Record Integration.
Organizations, including state agencies and accreditation organizations, that wish to use these tools solely for training or regulatory oversight, and who will not be using the tools to generate scoring recommendations for individual clients or families may do so by receiving permission for that purpose directly from AACP in the case of the LOCUS and from AACP and AACAP in the case of the CALOCUS.
There is an abridged demonstration version of the LOCUS and CALOCUS on the AACP website at https://www.communitypsychiatry.org, these versions can be downloaded freely, but do not contain enough content to be able to score for assessment purposes.
Prior to 2020, pdf versions of the LOCUS and CALOCUS tools were available for download. Any organization who may be using these versions for service intensity assessment, planning and/or for utilization management and/or other commercial uses are no longer permitted to do so. This accords with the existing copyright language on the tool.
If you have previously accessed a downloaded pdf version of these tools, the following are currently the only acceptable uses without express written permission or license:
- You may photocopy and use the instruments in their original form for informational use only.
- You may store the instruments as an unmodified, read-only image of the original paper document in “PDF” (Portable Document Format).
The following are unacceptable uses of the tools:
- Using in any form (including manually scoring) the pdf version for clinical, utilization management, or commercial purposes.
- Recreating the tool electronically in any form without license from Deerfield Solutions, LLC.
- Storing Assessments within an electronic health record system without license from Deerfield Solutions, LLC
- Using the materials for training staff on the use of LOCUS/CALOCUS without written consent from AACP for LOCUS and from AACP/AACAP for CALOCUS.
You can learn more about the AACP and AACAP here.